Ilwis 4 is a Windows-based, integrated GIS and Remote Sensing (RS) open source software. It contains a highly interactive desktop application based on drag-and-drop, map thumbnails and rich catalog functionality.
The framework behind ILWIS 4 is called ILWIS-Objects, which supports the extension of functionality by means of Python scripts or by creating new -so called- connectors to new data formats, other programming languages or software libraries.
ILWIS (The Integrated Land and Water Information System) is a Windows-based, integrated GIS and Remote Sensing (RS) open source software supporting:
- Visualization of raster, vector and tabular data
- Interactive retrieval of attribute information associated with spatial data
- Manipulation of raster, vector and tabular data
- Implementing/developing algorithms for air/space borne image data processing
- GIS analytical tools
- Modeling dynamic spatial systems behaviors using modeler tools
- 3D analysis of spatial temporal events using space-time-cube’ tools
- Calculations on raster and tabular data using Python command lines
- Direct access to spatial and tabular data of any format (via connectors)
- Using remote server via WPS-ILWIS Bridge
- Multitask operations
- Educational platform for teaching GIS and RS
- Python script language for automation of repetitive procedures